Vegan & Vegetarian FAQ
It is 2 am and you need a vegan donut - where do you turn??? Most of
us are never going to become vegetarian nutrition experts, but it is likely
that we will crave a donut. That's where this guide to the daily aspects of
being a vegetarian is indispensable. Based on answers given to some of the
100,000 visitors to The Vegetarian Resource Group website (www.vrg.org) every
month, this guide addresses the many circumstances of living as a vegetarian.
This book is the culmination of the many questions and frustrating lack of
answers vegetarians routinely encounter.
This guide will help non-vegetarians understand some of the issues and
ingredients that concern vegetarians. It is also a wonderful starting place if
you are a new vegetarian. And if you are a vegetarian 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week, you need this book! Vegan & Vegetarian FAQ will make being a
vegetarian even easier. You will find hundreds of answers on everything from
vegan marshmallows to food ingredients to veggie kids to how to cook tofu.
Weve also included 35 popular recipes, including fajitas, sloppy joes,
and eggless banana pancakes, as well as sources for thousands more!
- Where can I find vegan marshmallows?
- Is kosher gelatin vegan? What is pareve?
- Where can I find non-leather shoes?
- Is there one official symbol that denotes a vegetarian product?
- Can I be a vegan and an athlete?
- Do you know where I can find a vegetarian food pyramid?
- What can I do about the gas Ive experienced since I switched to
a vegetarian diet?
- What are natural flavors?
- Why are some cheeses labeled as vegetarian cheese? Why
wouldnt cheese be vegetarian? What is rennet?
- What is tofu? What do I do with it?
- Ive been vegan for a few months, but I really miss chocolate.
Where can I find some dairy-free chocolate?
- What can I do about cooking on holidays? Thanksgiving? Passover?
- Is there a guidebook to vegetarian restaurants available?
- Im going to Disneyland with my family. Will I be able to eat
- How do I get my kids to drink soymilk instead of cows milk?
- Whats this I hear about tofu making people senile?
- I am looking for a book or some information that might tell of some
of the more hidden places animal products are use, such as film process ing,
gelatin, and other things of this sort.
- But down doesnt involve killing the bird. Does it?
- Is tattoo ink vegan?
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - Most Frequently Asked Questions
- Chapter 2 - Vegetarianism in Daily Life
- Chapter 3 - Nutrition
- Chapter 4 - Food Ingredients
- Chapter 5 - Recipes
- Chapter 6 - Products
- Chapter 7 - Cooking and Baking
- Chapter 8 - Travel and Restaurants
- Chapter 9 - Veggie Kids
- Chapter 10 - Soy
- Chapter 11 - Vegan Concerns
- Chapter 12 - Unique Questions
- Chapter 13 - Questions About VRG
- Quick Guide to Fast Food
- Quick Guide to Helpful Websites
- Protein Content of Selected Vegan Foods
- Calcium Content of Selected Vegan Foods
- Iron Content of Selected Vegan Foods
- Daily Values
- A Seniors Guide to Good Nutrition
- Eat Better, Perform Better, Sports Nutrition Guidelines for the
- Why is Wine So Fined?
- Handy Guide to Food Ingredients
- List of Suggested Reading: Vegetarian Cookbooks Vegetarian Families
- School Foods Information
- Feeding Plans for Infants and Toddlers
- VRG Publications, Resources, and Tabling Materals